Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

assembling an animatronics dept. as opposed to contracting

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: assembling an animatronics dept. as opposed to contracting Reply with quote

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their help, It is very appreciated Smile

To refine my previous question: contracting would represent inordinate costs in the long run, so in assembling an in-house animatronics department, would such a team be able to avail standard industry methods and formulas of animatronic design and control provided unique copyrighted designs are avoided / and do these non-copyrighted methods and formulas exist to a larger extent than copyrighted material, or must companies mostly create their own initially?

Thank you very much for everyone's patience and please do not research anything, whaterver you happen to know already will be more than appreciated.
THANK YOU Surprised
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully, I don't think starting from scratch would be better than simply buying a product off the shelf and then installing it. Would you rather buy a Ford or build a Ford factory? Which is cheaper? These animatronic companies will make the product to your specifications and will install them, test and adjust them. In my humble opinion, that's the way to go.

Nate
Silito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly wish it were that easy Nate, unfortunately demand would be too high to rely longer term on contracting, creating the necessity to construct an animatronics department. The big concern initially though, of coarse, will be at what level of existing methods/processes we can begin with without treading into patented territory.

Silito Razz

Last edited by Silito on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe you should spell out exactly what you're trying to do for some true advice? Even so, I'm not sure it required contracting. You simply purchase the animatronics with some sort of maintenance agreement. When something breaks, they send a replacement. You'll probably want to have a spare on hand, or replacement parts. A show can't go on without its actors.

Of course you'll have to have a technical guy on hand, but it all depends on what you're attempting to do. Is this a new park? A new attraction? How many animatronics are we talking about? Is this an existing park adding in a new attraction? Fill us in and we can give you more specific advice.

Nate
Silito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a lot of people who come to this place with ideas. Many are secretive believing that they really need to protect the idea, that somehow it is unique and can't be disclosed. The problem with that thinking is shortsighted. In reality, there are far too many people with ideas than there are dollars to fund those ideas, notwithstanding the ability to make them reality. That said, I urge people over and over again not to cling to an idea but rather use this message board as a proving ground, where your idea will be disected and refined. You'll find after a while that it's not the idea that has value but the process. I would urge you to read the article I wrote about Tony Baxter here as well and take his approach to the idea. This whole thing about protecting an idea is something that we as creative consultants should always avoid. Your attitude as a creative consultant should be to treat ideas like sand. There's lots of it, it's really cheap, there's always more of it. Toss it around...and never hold on too tightly.

Article about Tony:

http://www.themedattraction.com/learningfromyourmistakes.html

Nate
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure I understand the Razz response...confusing. Yeah its always good to get your ideas on the table, so just lay it out and lets dig in!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: